Thursday 4 February 2016

Titles research



At the very start of my film I will need to include titles to show who has produced and distributed the film. I have decided to use Sony Pictures to distribute my film as they target a very mainstream audience and have experience producing and distributing successful British Dramas such as The Walk which is considered to be part thriller and part drama. I will include the Sony Pictures film title at the start of my film to show they have distributed my film. I must also create my own film title for my production company- JMT Pictures- which I will do on Final Cut Pro X using certain texts and transitions. I will look at existing film production companies' titles to inspire my own.

 
The main thing I notice from these film titles is that they all have the name of the company very large and clear so it can be easily reconized by the audience. Each film title also has a unique logo or font that makes them stand out from other companies, for example, Paramount always use the image of the mountain peak with the small stars surrounding it representing their 24 movie stars. Similarly, Warner Bros always use the same sheild-like logo for every film they distribute while changing the background to fit the genre of the film.
harry potter warner brothers
Image result for warner bros logos dark
warner brothers.
I must attempt to make my company title as unique as possible so that when people see it on the finished product they will reconize it as a new production company and not a typical large company.
I will also need to include the name of the film, to suggest what the whole film will be based on and actors names when they appear on screen to make it clear to the audience which characters are which, and whih are the most important characters to the plot. There are many ways of which I could display the name of the film and actors names on screen however I am going research different Drama films titles to get some ideas of how I could introduce the actors names into the opening scene.
 

The British Drama, Battle Of Britain, used a british theme for their film titles by using the colours red, white and blue which of course are in the British flag. By doing this the audience know that this is a typical British film and it stands out as unique and different to titles from other films. These titles relate to the film by kickstarting a nationalist theme that will run through the film.

In the film Walkabout, the titles are very large and bold with a background of what looks like rocks linking to the theme of the wild in this film. The Transition used for the opening titles are fading in and out almost giving the effect of a calm relaxed environment.



Another potential way I could introduce the characters and their actors more importantly, is by taking inspiration from the 1996 British drama- Trainspotting. In this film's opening scene the characters are introduced one by one using an editing technique called freezing of which the shot is frozen and text appears on the screen showing what they're called. I think this is a very good idea as it allows the audience to fully grasp all the characters names before the plot has properly begun. It can also be important to use this technique so the audience know the value of the characters in the plot for example in Trainspotting, the character Renton is shown first who is the main character, followed by Sick Boy who is his best freind and so on.





No comments:

Post a Comment